Remington NMA 1858 custom

Remington NMA 1858 custom

Message par Racing le Mer 28 Mar 2018 - 1:59

As much as i know some of you guys frown upon me writing in English,please bear with me..still haven´t learned French and this one´s just to good not to share Wink .

I own a few Remington NMA 1858´s alright and have restoed (overhauled) a few of them as i use them to compete in CAS. That might be,then the other day i ran into this..

On one of our local Swedish forums one of the members got in touch with me as he wanted out of the hobby and wondered if i´d be interested in his custom job Remmy 1858.

Well.

Now. I´m really not someone that´s into engraving but seriously... This one? It was made in late october 1864, has basically never been fired...and sports a pair of genuine ivory stocks and someone went COMPLETELY mental with the engraving pen! In short, from a purely mechanical point of view the gun is basically new. The ivory stocks have of course shrunk a little with age but that´s about it.

Nope. This was sure as hell no job done in haste! Just take a look at the DEPTH of that engraving! Shocked
Job is claimed to have been done back in the USA way way way back in time. By who and when though i have no idea as of yet. Plan to talk to "the Remington society" about that for clues at least.

Insane. It´s just insane. Btw,look at the lack of coloring of the chambers. The gun,as stated,is basically unfired. In one hundred and fifty years.

Nope. No stone unturned. The engraving is everywhere. To the letter.

Ditto. Look at the muzzle of this thing. Can´t be many shots fired,if any. The thing looks factory new and is 150 years old.

Yep. Even the T piece for the cylinder arbor spindle got knurled. Insane.

Yes Sir. Just as engraved underneath too.

No. They didn´t forget about the backstrap of it either.

What´s there more to be said? Really? If i bought it? Of course i did,but a gun like this..you´re basically its caretaker for a while before handing that responsability on to the next guy. A lot of money? Yeah well,it ain´t for free at least.. Laughing Laughing

I know that a while back i promised to post a couple of pics of the Remmys i use for CAS,which are originals too. Has to be to be permit free around here so..

Here´s the one gun "before". Broken in every way there was. Cracked entry of the barrel,shot chambers of the cylinder and so on....

...and this is the "after". Shoots real nice and ready for another 150yrs of service.

Another one. Filed down barrel for what we might call a different front sight. Also notice the dovetailed in rear sight. Former target gun,and albeit being as old as it is it shows within. Barrel and cylinder still looks like new.

...aaaaaand here´s what it looks like today. Stocks are a pair of old Smith&Wesson model 29 i cut to fit.

There´s a few more,but we´ll keep those for another post some day. siffle

Dernière édition par Racing le Mer 28 Mar 2018 - 23:10, édité 1 fois

Racing
private
private

Revenir en haut Aller en bas

Re: Remington NMA 1858 custom

Message par AMNET le Mer 28 Mar 2018 - 3:12

On dirait qu'il y a un suédois qui a débarqué sur le forum...
Viking spotted !
AMNET
hors classe
hors classe

Message par Syrg le Mer 28 Mar 2018 - 9:01

That's gorgeous, congrats.
Syrg
major
major

Emploi : Oui.

Message par JohnnyBoy le Mer 28 Mar 2018 - 12:12

Holy shit.
JohnnyBoy
lieutenant-general
lieutenant-general

Emploi : Chef de sa meute
Loisirs : Vraiment?

Message par Toulousain31 le Jeu 29 Mar 2018 - 1:24

So you are required to have an original cap and ball revolver because repros are banned?
Can't you just shell the money for a cartridge gun instead such as an Husqvarna 1887?

Toulousain31
corporal
corporal

Message par Racing le Jeu 29 Mar 2018 - 3:02

Toulousain31 a écrit:So you are required to have an original cap and ball revolver because repros are banned?
Can't you just shell the money for a cartridge gun instead such as an Husqvarna 1887?

Yep. The law up here states that any gun made before 1890 not intended for gastight cartridge is exempt. Since like yr 2000 we like you got 5 yr limits on handgun permits so in short...as i shoot CAS,fokk that. The law has made getting handgun permits into pure bullshit if you ask me.
Then it´s way simpler to just pick old originals up and overhaul them,like the two blued guns above. They come out as new guns when done in essence so...

Ditto for what it´s worth... rifles. Handguns and shotguns i´ve got loads of,rifles not so much and our law... Well. What i´ve got my mind set for is an old 1866 vintage Chassepot. It HAS to be the early rifles as the 1874 model brings cartridges. The needle fire gun that seals with a rubber gasket.
Idea of mine?
Well. i´m gonna take the receiver and barrel of that and shove that down a modern surplus Sako aftermarket stock i´ve got laying around. Then for a 4-10 optics.. Point being that i plan to elaborate the idea of Triple 7 pellets and in essence put together caseless ammo. 11,6mm Chassepot....a 300-340 grain pill..100 grains of 777..and glue the entire thing together.
Presto..one rather heavy duty rifle in modern form that is STILL firearms act exempt to me. mrgreen
(Got permits as well but this with avoiding them has become sort of a sport...and the less the state knows as far as me and my firearms the better...)

Even giving thought to putting some sort of mag solution together. The hard part there being how to avoid chainfires from a hot chamber and so on.. But the idea of caseless ammo talks to me..

Racing
private
private

Message par Toulousain31 le Jeu 29 Mar 2018 - 19:34

Paper cartridges my fellow swede get some rolling paper or better yet cardboard tube for casing and tey to score a sharps or whithworth rifle black powder sniper rifles of the civil war...
But please dont tacticool a chassepot get a rbber pad for the stock ans keep it mint.

If you can find me a norweigian krag rifle in 6.5 swede i could be reasonably interested

Toulousain31
corporal
corporal

Message par Racing le Ven 30 Mar 2018 - 21:21

Toulousain31 a écrit:Paper cartridges my fellow swede get some rolling paper or better yet cardboard tube for casing  and tey to score a sharps or whithworth rifle black powder sniper rifles of the civil war...
But please dont tacticool a chassepot get a rbber pad for the stock ans keep it mint.

If you can find me a norweigian krag rifle in 6.5 swede i could be reasonably interested

Up here some folk uses jumbo plastic straws to about the same end. What i have in mind is completely caseless ammo.

Don´t fret as far as the Chassepot. The receiver and barrel will be left without a mark. God forbid anything else.
In other words it´ll be a matter of slipping the STOCK Chassepot receiver and barrel into the heavily modified stock.

...for good measure.. cheers

..it really is downright insane...

Racing
private
private

Message par Racing le Ven 30 Mar 2018 - 21:32

How some make their homebrew Chassepot ammo up here.

Racing
private
private

Message par Racing le Ven 30 Mar 2018 - 22:27

Toulousain31 a écrit:Paper cartridges my fellow swede get some rolling paper or better yet cardboard tube for casing  and tey to score a sharps or whithworth rifle black powder sniper rifles of the civil war...

Not necessarily 6,5*55 but close enough at least.

https://www.lauritz.com/sv/auktion/norsk-krag-joergensen-banerifle/i4941779/

https://www.lauritz.com/sv/auktion/norsk-krag-joergensen-m-1930/i4941780/

https://www.lauritz.com/sv/auktion/norsk-krag-joergensen-m-1895/i4941778/

https://www.lauritz.com/sv/auktion/norsk-krag-joergensen-m-1930/i4941777/

Let me know if you need any of it translated. I´ll be happy to help you out.

Racing
private
private

Message par Toulousain31 le Mer 4 Avr 2018 - 3:26

I don'y understand but they are in the 700 crown range ?

6,5 krag is 6,5x55 downloaded if i remeber correctly...

Toulousain31
corporal
corporal

Message par Racing le Mer 4 Avr 2018 - 9:33

Toulousain31 a écrit:I don'y understand but they are in the 700 crown range ?

6,5 krag is 6,5x55 downloaded if i remeber correctly...

Yes. The Krag was produced in Denmark and Norway both. Yep,approx 7oo range,which translates into just about 80 Euros. Shipping will bring cost up though as these are guns under permit. There´s a standard form to be had for trading guns within the EEC btw.
At Lauritz you can check shipping cost for France directly.
As stated, let me know if you want me to help you out. It´d be my pleasure.

Uhu. The 6,5*55 is normally known as the 6.5 "Swede" as it is the old Swedish standard military round. Our old Mauser model 96 and 98 bolt actions were chambered for it around here. Very common caliber here in Sweden and even classed for "class 1" hunting (Moose,bear,wolf,lynx,wolverine and so on).

Seing that the Krag was produced in more then one place it is also chambered for a few different rounds. Take your pick really.. They are VERY commonplace around here though why they are anything but expensive.

Racing
private
private

Message par Toulousain31 le Mer 4 Avr 2018 - 20:50

mp

Toulousain31
corporal
corporal

Message par Racing le Ven 13 Avr 2018 - 1:07

Short update on what i´ve been up to lately.

I´ve had a vision for a snubnose for a while,and then on the 1858 theme. I picked a completely ruined Remington 1858 NMA up in Britain of all places as what the brits call a "deactivated weapon".

In this case that ment a completely milled down cylinder within,a hole drilled through the frame and barrel where a piece of steel rod had been welded in,a V cut into the barrel just after where it bolts up to the frame and then a steel rod inserted into the barrel and welded in,a welded shut cylinder axel and in turn the cylinder welded to the frame.
In short,ruined. Matching what i was looking for perfectly!

Yeah well,i did away with all them "deactivation" pieces,which was done quick enough,and then cut the barrel down and reformed the grip of the gun into what in english is called a birds head grip.
There was enough barrel material that was still usable to make 2 barrels. One of 3,5" and one of 2 1/4".

As i reformed the grip i cut the bottom part of the grip out where the serial number is at,and needed to set that back into the gun to keep origins of the gun clear-otherwise the gun will be under permit here in Sweden.
As you can see i just cut that part out and welded it to the inside of the "new" grip.

This gives you a fair idea of the difference. Up top is a un altered original and bottom is the snubnose, in this case with the 3,5" barrel.
Yes. You are correct. I cut the front part of the frame back all in all 22mm too.

The triggers on these guns are often very rough. I opted to install an overtravel screw into the trigger guard and in turn a set screw to alter "creep" into the hammer. Then in turn played around with mainspring force a lot,and the end/net result is a REALLY nice trigger!!

Gun is far from done,but i wanted it to have a "viking" touch and thought that very specific stocks (to us up here) would be a nice touch.
So..so far i´ve just made a pair out of arctic really slow grown juniper. So far no finish work done,no oil or anything the likes.
In turn though a friend of mine has offered me some...really old "sea oak". Wood rescued from an old regal ship of ours from back in the 1600´s that sunk in the baltic sea.
That sea oak is a mix of oak color and black.. Very Happy

Well. That and i need to figure out two more things. First up the typical Remington "sail" underneath the barrel and then in turn some means of loading the gun.
At the moment i´m giving thought to a loading ram that is a separate part and then basically just a pair of bobbins installed on the frame as fulcrum points.
Point is that is sports two barrels right..and i need to cater to them both.

Well. That much for a current update! Hope you like it.

// J

Racing
private
private

Message par Racing le Jeu 19 Avr 2018 - 11:43

There you go! Cool to say the least Very Happy
Story is that this sea oak/black oak is from the hull of a regal ship of ours that the russians sank in 1723 in the Baltic sea. At the time the oak used to build ships had been put to dry for centuries,rendering that noone KNOWS how old that material is.
Absolutely gorgeous material but hard as friggin bedrock! The screw and trim for it is the stock Remington parts btw.

Now for the final details on that revolver...

Racing
private
private

Message par Contenu sponsorisé

Contenu sponsorisé